The initiative is part of the participation (as a partner) of the Torre del Cerrano MPA in the FERS – InterregMediterranean project “MPA Networks – Support MPA effectiveness through strong and connected networks in the Mediterranean”.
The Marine Research Centre of the University of Camerino situated in San Benedetto del Tronto – URDIS – supports the MPA NETWORK project through two research activities carried out within the Marine Protected Area “Torre del Cerrano” and in the surrounding areas:
- monitoring of qualitative and qualitative characteristics of fish catches by professional and recreational fishermen (pilot action 2.a)
- monitoring of water quality parameters of interest to the fish fauna (pilot action 2.b)
The activities started in March 2021. In the first half of the month the following activities took place:
– activation of scientific collaborations
– activation of collaborations with small fishermen
– meeting with operators and stakeholders
– planning of activities by identifying 8 short “monitoring periods” at regular intervals; the sampling dates within each period were decided according to weather conditions.
Each monitoring period included: 3 catch monitoring (2 of which were carried out on board two boats and one on a third boat at anchor) + 1 monitoring of sea water parameters.The pilot actions started in the second half of March 2021 and continue at (almost) regular intervals; to date, 6 of the 8 monitoring periods have been carried out.
On the same days, the activity of non-professional fishermen authorised to fish within the MPA was controlled and monitored.